Breakthrough’s culture is driven by dignity, equity and integrity. We are rooted in honesty, sincerity, fairness and accountability and we do not tolerate disrespect, discrimination and injustice of any kind. Innovation and collaboration is at the core of all that we do and we believe in constant improvement and improvisation.
The three core values that we have are – Dignity , Equity and Integrity.
From our core we know that all of us have inborn value and worth and by upholding this for ourselves and others, we strengthen this value.
Making dignity actionable:
- We respect our colleagues, stakeholders, partners and vendors, and treat them as we want to be treated.
- We have confidence in each other’s capabilities and intentions.
- We believe that people work best when there is a foundation of trust.
- We value people with diverse identities and strongly believe that all individuals can contribute to their fullest potential.
- We inspire and enable people to achieve high expectations, standards and challenging goals.
- We are honest with people about their performance in a manner which upholds their dignity and self-worth.
- We give and receive constructive feedback without demeaning anyone.
- We speak up when we see someone being disrespectful and discriminatory.
- We call out discriminatory remarks and jokes that are classist, casteist, sexist, ageist.
- We value each other’s time and space and are mindful of how our actions and words affect others.
- We respect differences of opinions, perspectives and the values they hold.
- We respect each other’s work across teams and give equal importance to all centres.
We recognise that certain groups of people have been marginalised and discriminated against and hence we consciously design and/ or create systems, processes, and procedures to enable more just, inclusive and safer spaces.
Making equity actionable:
- We are committed to ensure that the voices of people who are the intended beneficiaries of a programme/project/activity are a part of the designing process
- We recognise that diversity in a workplace means more experience, more perspectives and more source material to draw from in brainstorming, solving problems and creating innovative solutions to the problems that we face.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to recruit and maintain a diverse workforce with the relevant skills and competencies.
- We believe that everyone has the potential to become leaders and hence we do our best to develop capacities, skills and competencies of everyone based on training needs identified.
- We facilitate open discussions to identify disparities and seek continuous feedback to reduce them.
- We give equal importance to opinions, contributions, and voices of employees, and stakeholders.
- We ensure that people are placed at the center while developing processes, systems and procedures.
Being in integrity in Breakthrough means upholding and practicing Breakthrough’s values and being
honest, fair and accountable for our words and actions.
Making integrity actionable:
- We follow through our commitments to our colleagues, stakeholders, partners, donors, vendors.
- We strive for quality in our work and are driven by our organisation’s mission.
- We value honesty in our work and are not guided by factors like convenience and personal benefit in our work.
- We encourage people to speak up with courage when faced with unethical or dishonest practices within or even outside their work space.
- We utilise resources optimally, and are mindful of each other’s time and space, and of wastage including misuse of resources such as office supplies.
- We engage in open and honest conversations to create a safe space and have a happy and healthy work culture.
- We encourage owning ones’ achievements with pride as well as accepting one’s mistakes.
- We do not accept support, including funding, from sources that do not align with our ideologies, principles, ethics, and values.