Website Breakthrough Trust
Breakthrough (BT) is looking for a Director – Deep Transformation for Generational Shift: for Breakthrough’s direct work with more than 100,000 adolescents and young adults currently in 4 states. The person will be responsible for a large team effectively rolling out the program through socio-ecological model, strategizing for better programming around the mission of Breakthrough, and overall development of the team members. This position will report to the Senior Director – Program, and will be based out of Delhi. The role would require travel extensively to all the regions of BT’s work in the ground and will also be expected to travel to present BT’s work. The person is expected to work in collaboration with the Resource Mobilisation team to raise funds and donor reporting as well as the Research and Evaluation team to work on evaluations in Breakthrough.
The detailed job description is as follows:
- Rolling out Breakthrough’s program in the ground towards a generational shift in gender norms through focus on adolescent empowerment and young adults’ leadership building, : The Director is expected to strengthen the culture of co-ownership of the programmatic decisions in the centre.
- Provide strategic support in developing organisational annual plans in line with strategic plan and ensure the programs are implemented in line with the BT’s values and the organisational goals.
- Creating Program Implementation Plan (PIP) for projects and guiding the program implementation in tune with the PIP: maintaining high congruence to the budget sought and programs planned.
- Facilitate the PIP implementation in collaboration with all the relevant centres and keep a close view of the potential increase in risk of implementation of PIP and raise red-flags.
- Ensure that all grants are well managed and reported, attaining their objectives and implemented within agreed budgets and time frames. Ensure the quality of donor reporting
- Managing a multi-disciplinary team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, support and evaluate direct reportees regularly. This position is expected to strengthen the culture of co-ownership of the programmatic decisions in the centre
- Ensure that all staff across departments and state offices is familiar with, adhere to and implement the policies, processes and procedures. It is also expected that the teams would be held together, team-spirit and shared decision making will be cultivated.
- Regularly visit field areas and support field teams; help state teams to develop effective partnership with major stakeholders to further the vision of Breakthrough in tune with the advocacy plan
- Work with Breakthrough’s Senior Leadership team to uphold BT’s values and help the organisation reach newer heights.
- Being responsible in representing Breakthrough’s work, in India and other parts of the world, as and when the organisation needs.
- Champion the values of Breakthrough both internally & externally and ensure that the basic ethos of Breakthrough is retained in all the work.
Specific Knowledge, Skill & Experience Required:
- Post graduate in Social Sciences or equivalent with 15 -20 years of relevant experience in the sector: preferably working with youth, adolescents, gender issues.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities without missing timelines: proven ability to manage large projects.
- Great believer in shared leadership. One who nurtures leadership.
- Enjoy giving attention to detail.
- Enjoy working in teams and love the challenge of multi-lingual, multi-cultural, multi-faceted teams.
- In-depth understanding of gender issues, feminist politics, sociological frameworks, and a passion for social change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and Hindi.
Breakthrough was founded in 1999 with the mission of using arts and culture to bring human rights issues — especially violence and discrimination against marginalised groups — into mainstream conversation and inspire critical mass of people to take action for change. Its award-winning music albums and campaigns have won innumerable awards and have
stirred unprecedented discussion across India about women’s rights and brought the problem of domestic violence out from behind closed doors. Earlier partnerships with the Ministry of Women and Child Development for dissemination of our media and IEC products which ensures that the messaging reaches large numbers as can be seen by the Bell Bajao campaign that reached 130 million in Phase I and 110 million in Phase II. The support was received pro-bono and is estimated to be worth INR 150 million. The Ministry has adopted Breakthrough’s MissionHazaar campaign on preventing sex selection under its flagship “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” campaign and is disseminating the TV spots, curriculum and communication guide in 12 Indian languages.
Breakthrough’s current work spans across 5 states on transforming gender norms to prevent Violence against Women & Girls, and exploring the interlinkages between its various manifestations. Breakthrough makes innovative use of media, arts and technology including digital and mobiles, leadership development and community mobilisation to activate critical mass of people who will deliver the culture change needed to make violence against women and girls unacceptable. Centre to this is a gender equity curriculum, called Taron ki Toli that builds gender equitable views among adolescents 11-18 year olds, in school and in the community. Breakthrough uses leadership development to build capacities of 15-25 year olds to transform themselves and recruit others to make violence against women and girls unacceptable. It also works in the community with influencers and gatekeepers to shift norms to prevent violence and build values for girls and women. Media and arts infuse all our work and building evidence is a strong focus. Strategic partnership with governments are key – currently partnering with the Department of Education, Government of Punjab to apply gender lens to middle school curriculum across government schools. Currently reaching 573,000 adolescents and their communities to prevent violence against women and promote a culture of human rights, Breakthrough plans to reach 2 million adolescents over the next few years.
The position holder will be expected to work in line with organisational values which are:
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, colour, caste, religion, creed, gender, age, disability, economic status, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to child safeguarding.
To know more about Breakthrough, please visit –www.inbreakthrough.org
Eligible candidates interested in this position may apply through the following link : https://www.btconnect.org.in/Applicant/CreateJobApplicant
Also, you can submit your resume accompanied by a cover letter, giving reasons in support of the suitability for the position and mentioning the current/expected salary. Send it by email to email@example.com by or before 29th Feb 2024.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org